Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Planning and Randomness

This all started with the random whim that laptops are heavy and should not be carried on trips unless required. This time I did not involve myself in definition of what is required and moved to my home town. Soon I realized my folly and things were quite boring in first two days. A random resolution made on some random new year that I should back my decisions and should not regret on every petty matter, forced me to justify my action. Thought was about staying away from electronic gadgets which were occupying more than 90% of my daily routine and giving some time by myself. Sounded cool and sage like in head but in practice the question aroused “Now what Mr. Self carrier councilor?” Thought process was in loop and situation was a soup. It reminded me of friends with whom time just flew away. But issue was not how to kill time but it was time to kill some issues. Unable to reach any conclusion i called upon my so called best friends a.k.a “books” though I never agreed to this best friend title. My family has used it as their favorite quotation whenever I demanded right to entertainment. In my understanding I consider myself quite capable so judged problem is sheer laziness. Well there was no prove to my capability but some knowledgeable people said think good about yourself and that was my idea of following them. I stumbled upon a book about “Procrastination” seem quite relevant that time but browsing through the preface said I ain’t a procrastinator since I am still not sure what I want to do. I am in situation where I can be called a “thinker”. Amazing it was how authors can sound an even more degraded situation as talent and maybe learning that talent will help me some day. But brushing that thought aside I focused more on what content it had to offer the “ thinkers”, which indeed sounded better than negative sounding word “procrastinator “ but was one step lower.

I placed down the book and got stuck in the thought what do I plan to to do in future. But planning is was not something anyone can do. We have government planner in commission who are incapable of planning and executives who cannot execute a single project. Planning is required for my life ,I said no I need a plan to relieve myself from post of thinker and upgrade myself to procrastinator. Sounded like an awesome plan , but as I have always claimed to be a realist ( lol I am an anime freak and anime is faaar away from reality) how much was the possibility of this plan to come handy. I planned to lead a peaceful vacation at home. But a random whim of considering laptop heavy has plunged me into crisis of life time. So are plans of any importance or life or universe entwines according to might of randomness.

Randomness is something which is inexplicable by bounds of our knowledge and logics. We may not accept that most of the occurrence around us is dictated by random chance. Even thoughts are random. Quoting one SHAYAR friend of mine "doston soch kabhi bhi aa sakti hai". Chemical at elementary level all organisms are made up of atoms with definite appearing chemical composition, who are interacting randomly with each other. So is our persona an outcome of Brownian motion of this composition? Human will not accept this definition of their existence for their love towards idea of free will. They believe that their actions not randomness generate outcomes. The freewill they talk about is something random too. The desires are randomly distributed amongst people and which motivate them to take actions and these actions randomly interact to generate results. Can these results have shred of what was planned by individuals?

In the explanation of randomness there were two main terms used “knowledge and logic”. So in Stone Age probably due to lack of knowledge almost any phenomenon seemed a random occurrence. The growth of moon every fortnight, the seasons or may be even death was random occurrence and it was not something definite. So can it be said that we think things are random because of our knowledge limitations. Sounds about right. If we had complete knowledge then probably we will be able to see everything as definite. But let us think again, as thinker I am, not long ago homosexuality is accepted by law in india. Few years ago I would have said with definitiveness “boys like girls” , but now there is randomness in sexuality too. But here we do not see inverse proportion between knowledge and randomness then may be knowledge and randomness are randomly related. Awesome, isn’t it. There are lot of preachers in india who claim that one’s action determine one’s destiny (point to be noted " one's action" and "one's destiny") . Sounds too good to be true. A bus driven by driver meet accident and gets passengers injured but can this destiny be attributed to their actions. They probably chose wrong bus to commute by which was blind chance. But no, the concept of AATMA and incarnation will explain this anomaly. The head start received in economic life by kid born in rich family is because of his good deeds in previous incarnation. But what about first incarnation? Human action may have very slight effect on the fate of vast universe, if they do not affect their own life in planned way. And I was left wonder why I am paying so much attention to my action plan. Since any outcome is result of random interaction of random effort and what not random factor, may be tossing a coin to decide over seemingly important matters is not such a stupid option. ( what an idea sirji….lol)

2 comments:

  1. randomness is bliss... m gonna keep on dreaming..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good read man... philosophy on randomness... seems ironical but apparently not

    ReplyDelete